Access violation trying to run Python over Win NT network.

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Tue Apr 30 08:43:25 EDT 2002

Patrick wrote:

> I'm trying to run Python from a network drive.  On most machines it
> works, but on some machines it generates an access violation about 60%
> of the time, (just by typing 'python' with no arguments).  If I install
> Python locally it runs fine on all the machines.

One possibility is that the install is updating some MS redistributable
dll. This goes into the server's Windows\System. The client is still
using an out of date copy from the client machine's Windows\System.

That would explain why it doesn't fail on Win2K boxes (as you mention
in a later post).

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/