Science And Math Was: Python's Lisp heritage

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Apr 22 19:20:39 EDT 2002

"Tim Daneliuk" <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote ...

Erdos

> > >The first assertion by Erdos is indeed problematic. The second is not.
> >
> > My sense, intution is of mathemetics as infinite only in the sense of
allowing
> > infinite homologous descriptions of/perspectives on  the One Thing.
> >
> > The perspectives are invented.
> >
> > The Thing is not.
>
> This is entirely cogent and on-the-mark, IMO, but it still sidesteps the
> question of whether or not mathematics can operate on things which do
> not exist in the natural realm.  My (unproven/unprovable) claim is that
> mathematics is capable of operating on a larger problem set than
> that posed by natural science no matter how large/finite/infinite natural
> science, in fact, is.

I would still have a problem with the Godelian limits of formal systems and
the intellect's ability to comprehend things more complex than itself. Can
methematics do things the human intellect cannot comprehend? Mathematics
*is*. Humans *do* mathematics (discovered or invented, it has to be used by
an intellect).

In the end you can draw limits around natural science that allow you to
answer your own question either way. Maybe Cambridge had it right in
including both mathematics and science under "Natural Philosophy".

While interesting, however, this is all a rather long way from Python
["spoilsport!!", shouted the crowd]. Next: "How many angels can dance on the
head of a pin?"

regards
 Steve
--