Python Version Strategy?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 3 15:49:53 EST 2002

On Wed, 03 Apr 2002 19:42:26 GMT
Mats Wichmann wrote:

> Red Hat is trying to at least /appear/ to be stabilising things for
> their customers, and they won't roll key software except at major
> release time.  Python is used "internally" so it qualifies on this
> front. That means that the entire 7.x series continues on Python
> 1.5.2, and the sad news is, the next Red Hat release will be 7.3 so
> figure that Red Hat will be stuck on Python 1.5.2 through the end of
> this year.  You can now have a more modern version as long as you're
> willing to call it python2.
>
> The sad thing is while Red Hat is sticking to their guns on this
> issue, they keep breaking other stuff for folks, making one wonder why
> they bother standing on the Python issue so hard.

Yeah, I had to revert to an older version of gnucash when I moved from 7.0
to 7.1, and then again when I moved to 7.2, only this time it was an all
day event as it would no longer build on the new system.  I was unable to
balance my checkbook for an entire weekend.  But gnucash is an application
that people would probably come to depend on so it's probably okay to move
to an incompatible version in a point release, versus changing versions of
Python which most people wouldn't even notice.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)