GUI programming

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 1 14:15:09 EST 2002

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:49:03 -0600
Gustavo Cordova wrote:

> > [..references to building wxGTK problems..]
> > All in all, this can be very frustrating to new users.
> >

> Extremely.
>
> I gave up after the n-th iteration.
>
> And let's not talk about enabling GL. :-(

What OS are you using?  On RedHat (and I assume any other RPM-based
distro):

rpm -i wxGTK-2.3.2-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i wxPython-2.3.2.1-1-Py22.i386.rpm
rpm -i wxPython-gl-2.3.2.1-1-Py22.i386.rpm

(substituting appropriate version numbers) seems to work just fine and has
for some time.  Under Windows it's even easier (run setup.exe).  I haven't
tried a Debian-based system, but I believe deb files are available as well.

If for some reason you do have to build from source, I'm sure someone on
wxpython-users at lists.wxwindows.org would be happy to help.

> By far, Tkinter is the defacto standard precisely
> because it's ubiquitous. Not because it's the
> fasters, nicest, easiest (although it *is* quite
> simple to learn), efficientest, skinnablest,
> or whatever. But because it's the easiest to
> obtain (on most platforms), and ubiquitous.

I'd have to agree with this statement.  wxPython is a snap on Windows and
Linux, but Mac support is lagging and even on other Unices it often
requires compiling, whereas Tkinter pretty much works everywhere.

That said, if all you care about is Windows and Linux (or are willing to
put some work in to build on your target platform), wxPython is the way to
go.  It's far more comprehensive than Tk and has a native look and feel on
whatever platform you're targeting.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)