Python and spacecraft onboard or ground control scripting

Don Garrett garrett at bgb-consulting.com
Wed Apr 10 18:21:10 EDT 2002

"M. J. Mix" wrote:

> Is anyone using Python as a spacecraft ground system scripting
> language, or onboard (embedded) language?
>
> Pros and cons when compared with TCL or JAVAScript.  Just
> some real life, honest opinions.

  I'm not aware of ANY scripting languages that have been developed in a manor
suitable for life critical fail-safe situations. I like Python a lot, and find
it very reliable for day to day stuff, but I'd hate to have it embedded in my
pace maker. I also don't think it's suitable for serious real-time processing.

  Fail-safe and Real-time processing are both rather specialized and arcane
arts. They are often associated with things like embedded systems in critical
applications. Embedded systems in spacecraft often fall into these categories
(just like pacemakers). Standard Python is just not suitable for these tasks,
though specialized versions could be developed (given the types of
cost/expense usually associated with such systems). Neither are any TCL or
Javascript engines that I am aware of.

  Maybe you could be more specific about the types of tasks you are trying to
perform?

> The usual issues: reliability and maintenance effort in applications.
> Also, use as a scripting language by non-programmers. (I saw the post
> on indenting, so I'm concerned about that.)

  For typical applications it's an excellent all around tool. Reliable, easy
to use, and easy to learn.

--
Don Garrett                             http://www.bgb.cc/garrett/
BGB Consulting                                      garrett at bgb.cc