ANN: SLiP and SLIDE

Scott Sweeney ssweeney at idiosync.net
Thu Apr 4 18:05:08 EST 2002

YAML and SOX use fairly proprietary syntax... I've tried to keep SLiP's
close to Python's so that if you know Python, you pretty much know SLiP.
That way you can also leverage any Python editor as well and get all of the
auto-indenting, coloring, etc.  However, they all serve basically the same
purpose and goals (shorthand for XML), just different techniques.  I'm sure
you could find some limitations in SLiP or YAML or SOX or YAYAML (maybe in
whitespace handling, etc.), just as you would comparing Python to Perl to
Ruby, but these are mostly edge cases and ones that should be overcome
pretty easily by any of these.

I'm afraid SLiP hasn't been around long enough for me to have a more
detailed list of differences than this.  If you do find limitations in SLiP,
I'd love to know about it.

YAML and SOX do look pretty cool though.  I'm looking forward to digging in
to them a bit more.