_The Perl Review_ does Python

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 6 04:53:37 EST 2002

Mats Wichmann || Fri 05 Apr 2002 09:56:05a:

> On 5 Apr 2002 02:05:29 -0800, alanmk at hotmail.com (Alan Kennedy) wrote:
>
>:brian d foy wrote:
>:> for our April 2002 issue (April Fool!), The Perl Review replaced
>:> its Perl content with Python articles, so Python folks might want
>:> to read this issue:
>:>
>:>    http://www.theperlreview.com/Issues/The_Perl_Review_0_2.pdf
>:
>:Forgot to mention: Does this mean that the Golf competition is open to
>:Python entries :-)
>:
>:The golf competition is a neat idea. Python hasn't completely
>:suppressed the hacker in me :-)
>

> Ugh, it's horrid, and seems very perl-ish.  Do something in the
> smallest amount of space, readability/maintainability be damned.
>
> We need something that emphasizes the beauty, simplicity, clarity of
> the solution (some Japanese term, perhaps?)

Well, i'm not someone to ask about the detailed meanings of japanese
words, but i'm bored, so i did some dictionary diving on these terms.
Here's a couple hits (kanji meanings in parens).

keishikibi (form/style - system/expression - beauty) 'beauty of form'
kotan (wither/die - faint/pale O_O) 'elegant simplicity'
tanryoubi (simple - clear - beautiful) 'i just made this word up'
--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com