Python 2.2 unwise.exe

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Apr 18 00:49:20 EDT 2002

[Tim]
> Getting rid of the "delete in-use files" gimmick does [eliminate
> the vanishing unwise.exe problem, under at least one scenario].  I
> don't know whether that's the *only* problem here, though (Robin
> Becker seems to think not, but I don't believe everything I read
> on Usenet <wink>).

[Robin Becker]
> well actually I think your hypothesis is correct.

Well, it was definitely *a* cause, and the sole cause of every vanishing act
I was able to provoke.  I reported it as a bug to Wise, and changed our
installer to stop using the "delete in-use files" gimmick for the duration.

Thanks for bringing it up, Robin!  While I've been seeing this happen for a
year, the lack of any other report caused me to file it in my "huh --
something mysterious happened on Win98 -- so what else is new" bin.

BTW, if UNWISE.EXE goes missing for someone, see whether a file named

    GLB1A2B.EXE

is sitting in your temp directory.  The Wise uninstaller creates this, and
except for the name it's identical to UNWISE.EXE.  That's how they manage to
delete UNWISE.EXE during a normal uninstall without a reboot (it can't
delete itself because Windows won't let anyone delete an open file; instead
UNWISE.EXE makes a renamed clone of itself in the temp directory, and spawns
the clone at the end of the uninstall process to get rid of itself).  You
can move GLB1A2B.EXE to your Python root, rename it to UNWISE.EXE, and all
the normal ways of uninstalling should work again.