[OT] What is Open Source? (was Re: ANN: Twisted 0.16.0...)

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Mon Apr 15 13:30:13 EDT 2002

Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:

>That's not.  <http://www.opensource.org/> uses nothing else, although it's
>often spelled Open Source there.  From OSI's FAQ:
>
>    How is "open source" related to "free software"?
>
>    The Open Source Initiative is a marketing program for free software.
>    It's a pitch for "free software" on solid pragmatic grounds rather
>    than ideological tub-thumping.  The winning substance has not
>    changed, the losing attitude and symbolism have.
>
>As marketing collateral, I suppose that paragraph could stand its own
>attitude adjusmment <wink>.

Thanks Tim.  I guess I need re-education again.  By now I'm pretty much sure
that these things are not as they were several years ago when the term "open
source" first came about.  I was excited about the new term which seemed
easier to explain than "free", but was promptly educated by both camps that
they were not the same.

In any case, if I now take a poll on this list for the following question:

Do you think the set of "open source software" as defined by OSI and the set
of "free software" as defined by FSF are
1) the same set,
2) two different sets,
3) none of the above;

I'd expect a dozen different answers.  Oh, well.  :-)

Huaiyu