Newbie's 1st Web App decisions!

Scrumpy reply at in_newsgroup.tks
Fri Apr 5 14:43:17 EST 2002

Geoffrey Talvola <gtalvola at nameconnector.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1018028292.11988.python-list at python.org:

> Scrumpy wrote:
>> I do like to separate style, layout, app and data and will
>> avoid using PSP,
>> Cheetah etc. completely or at least in ways which integrate
>> app code within
>> HTML pages.

[snip]

> A better argument against PSP is that it isn't web-designer-friendly.
> That was a primary motiviation for creating Cheetah -- because its
> syntax is considered better for non-programmers than PSP's syntax.

I can't argue ;-) I'm just looking for informed suggestions on a subject I
know nothing about.

I only pointed out a personal preference i.e. I don't like to mix app logic
and html layout in the same page, as can be seen in many pages with PHP.

On reflection, a better way to have written the sentence would have been
"...will avoid using PSP, Cheetah etc. in ways which integrate app logic
within HTML pages." =)

To get back on track with my original post, here's part of what I wrote:

"At the moment I'm considering using either Webware or Slither [snip]"

"So far though, I have not found any independant info on Slither (and
nothing at all on Slither with mod_snake) [snip]"

"What I would be most appreciative of, is your helpful suggestions on how
to start in Python Web app development and on relevant books."

That last quote above is the most important. I haven't fixed my sights on
any particular Python related web app server/components/frameworks/RAD
tools and am seeking Python scholars' help on how to proceed.

Although it is nice to be told about this or that web app related project,
I'm not in a position to know if it's better or worse than the
alternatives. I'd really appreciate hearing (relatively) unbiased
comparisons between projects and perhaps being given a slight push towards
one.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Scrumpy :)