porting python to embeded devices

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Apr 12 21:43:58 EDT 2002

In article <7xy9fse6ol.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin wrote:

>> > I'd say it's hopeless or at least impractical.  Those processors are
>> > much too constrained to run Python.  It would be like trying to run an
>> > SQL database on them.  Python has many virtues but being able to run
>> > on very tiny processors isn't one of them.
>>
>>     What about something like the Zaurus SL-5500?
>
> The SL5500 is a high powered computer with a 32-bit CPU and 64 MB of
> ram.  It runs Python just fine.  The computers the OP was asking about
> are 8-bit CPU's with a few dozen to a few hundred bytes of ram (well
> maybe a few kbytes for some 68HC11 configurations).  There's a
> tremendous difference.  While there are some C compilers that can
> produce code for those cpu's, they are normally programmed in assembler.

Maybe PICs are normally programmed in assembler, but I've seen
a lot of 68HC11 projects in the past 10-12 years, and they were
all in C -- and most of them ran on top of a multi-tasking
kernel.  None of them had a chance of running Python, though.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I've got a COUSIN
                                  at               who works in the GARMENT