Beginnger Question

Dennis dennis at horsethieves.com
Tue Apr 9 10:24:12 EDT 2002

If there's a better forum for asking newb questions, please point me
there!

I'm new to programming.  My only experience up to this point is some
aborted attempts to learn C and Java.  I'm finding Python much easier
to learn than those.  Currently, I'm pushing my way through
"Non-Programmers Tutorial for Python" by Josh Cogliati.

My current problem is this:

x = 2

def wrong(num):
    return num + 1

print wrong(x)
print wrong(x)

I cannot figure out why this (simplified) program won't increment x
and produce 3 and 4.  This is probably indicative of a bigger problem
with understanding functions (and their limitations).  Are there any
sources out there that explain functions more in-depth and clearly?!
Thanks for any and all help.

Dennis
dennis at horsethieves.com