shipping a python app

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Apr 26 09:30:26 EDT 2002

Alexander Skwar wrote:

>»Alexander Skwar« sagte am 2002-04-26 um 01:17:32 +0200 : ^
>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>
>> Well, why is that?
>
> Hm, seems like the packages aren't cross platform.  When I use the zip
> package, I get the error message.  When I use the .tar.gz file, I don't
> get any errors on my Linux machine.

The tar.gz is built on Linux; the .zip on Windows. So line endings are
different. eval wants the "right" line endings.

> Can I use the Installer to create a cross-platform binary on Linux which
> will run on Windows for a wxPython application?  Which requirements do I
> have to meet to be able to do so?

No. Cross-compiling is sort-of conceivable, but even if I went to all
that work, you'd still have to have a "workable" Windows Python
installation on your Linux box, with no way of verifying that it
is "workable".

-- Gordon
http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/