Encryption

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Tue Apr 23 06:49:17 EDT 2002

Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> writes:
> >Why do you especially want to use mcrypt, in that case?
>
> I don't. The site supplying the data want to use mcrypt. We just want
> to accomodate.

If the data volume isn't too large and the security requirements
aren't too intense, you can code RC4 in Python and get the other end
to configure Arcfour encryption into Mcrypt, and do all the decryption
in pure Python.  That's probably the easiest approach.  Otherwise you
have to either get python-mcrypt working under Windows, or find some
other library that works under Windows.

I coded RC4 in Python a few months ago and it ran at about 100
kbytes/sec on my P3-750, if that's of any help.  I don't know if
that's fast enough for your application.  A C implementation would run
at tens of megabytes/sec.