Science And Math Was: Python's Lisp heritage

Torkel Franzen torkel at sm.luth.se
Tue Apr 23 04:17:17 EDT 2002

Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> writes:

> "Wittgenstein hielt Mengenlehre und mathematische Logik für entbehrliche
> Teile der Mathematik."
>
> Which means: "Wittgenstein says that we don't need any set-theory and
> logic".

  Not quite. It means "Wittgenstein regarded set theory and
mathematical logic as dispensable parts of mathematics." Now,
Wittgenstein waffled quite a lot about mathematics, and in
the Philosophical Grammar he said a lot of things that sounded
much like intuitionism, but he also at various times said that
he did not wish to change anything at all in mathematics.

 > I wrote an email to the official Austrian association for "Kurt Goedel"
 > in order to figure out whether Goedel met Wittgenstein or not.
 > Wittgenstein was in Vienna (and many other times) from 1924 to 1928 and
 > he even had contact with the Wiener Kreis (due to Schlick) but it
 > remains unclear for me whether he really met Goedel or not.

  Wittgenstein was a great hero of Schlick's and Waismann's, but was
of course in no sense a member of the Vienna Circle. Neither was
Godel, although he sat in on some of their meetings. I don't think
there is any record of Godel and Wittgenstein ever meeting.