Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sat Apr 6 12:50:54 EST 2002

James wrote:

> _I_ didn't have any problem with Unicode. Python did. Python caused
> _forward_ incompatibilities, not just backward ones.

Unicode was too important not to add to the language, even if it did
cause a few headaches. But the addition was done in a manner that
favored compatibility over optimal semantics.

> There are other compatibility issues that gave me some problems.

What is the total amount of time that you have spent resolving
compatibility problems? What language are you going to use instead of
Python?

> I condemn the growing number of versions that are proliferating. More
> versions invite a large probability of forward and backward
compability
> problems.

Please list some languages that are very forward and backwards
compatible between releases.

I'm just trying to get a handle on the exact rational for your decision
not to use Python anymore.

Cheers,
Brian