Help: Python for a big commercial project?

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Wed Apr 10 07:43:40 EDT 2002

* Cereal Muesli <cereal_con_fibra at hotmail.com> [2002-04-10 13:24 +0200]:
> - First of all; do you think that Python is suitable for this
>  kind of "serious, big" project?

Yes.

> - The core DW system and ETL logic runs under a HP-UX 11 system.

Dunno much about HP-UX, but I did once manage to build Python 2.0 for a
HP-UX 10 (or was it 9) system. It was certainly more pain than on other
platforms.

> - Installation: How easy or how hard is the installation of
>  Python for HP-UX 11? I don't want to disturb sys admins more
>  than necessary; do they have to compile everything? Do they
>  need to install GCC to do that? Are there any reliable
>  full-featured pre-built binaries for this platform available to
>  "download-and-install-in-a-minute"?

I don't think there are any prebuilt binaries for most Unixen, but a
competent sysadmin will compile once and move the resulting binary
tarball to the other machines. Or even use rdist or install Python on a
NFS mounted directory.

> - Finally: Which version of Python should we use?

2.2.1, definitely.

> it seems that 1.5.x still rules under *NIX, doesn't it?

No. 1.5.2 doesn't rule at all, it's only that one (!) certain Linux
distribution still uses it by default for very stupid reasons.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 8.3 °C      Wind: 8.1 m/s