Java to Python translation

Frithiof Andreas Jensen frithiof.jensen at removethis.ted.ericsson.dk
Thu Apr 11 04:04:28 EDT 2002

"vio" <vmilitaru at sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:3CB01A9E.4DFB9D9D at sympatico.ca...

> First, I had some problem running the demo in my current window manager
(icewm),

That is what I do not like about Java: The platform independence is broken
in subtle and often surprising ways and there is version dependancies
introduced by the JVM. Reminds one of Windows, in fact - Bad!

> Second, it did reverse engineer (java to UML) simple java sample code, but
> couldn't make it to generate python code from the UML model (nor CORBA IDL
code,
> another supported language).

Thats appalingly bad - just as well you did not shell money for this, eh?

I *would* give it a spin on Windows thouogh, just in case of it being "yet
another JVM bug" - Linux is not well supported in the Java arena and some
distributions even comes preloaded with the Kaffee JVM, which is a nice
enough effort, but mostly does not work with 3rd-party Java applications.
With SUN's JVM, on a RedHat distro, there is somewhat better odds.

> Third, and the big "show stopper" though, is that during 'java to UML'
> translation, all the code inside my java methods are simply lost.

That's what is *supposed* to happen: UML tools captures *design*; you have
to provide the implementation yourself - they do not translate code, *you*
have to do that (Whatever you do IMNSHOO :-).