ANN: Twisted 0.16.0: Licenses and Open Source don't conflict.

David Mertz, Ph.D. mertz at gnosis.cx
Fri Apr 12 22:39:52 EDT 2002

|> (See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/categories.html)

|I overlooked the specific legal meaning of "Public Domain"...
|However, I was still correct in saying that just because you release in
|the public domain doesn't mean you're releasing "free" or even more
|generally "open source" software

Huh?!

Did you look at the URL given above?  At the top of that page is a very
nice Venn that shows many of the categories of software, for a cost and
freedom POV.  Among other features, this diagram (correctly) shows
Public Domain software as entirely contained in BOTH of the overlapping
categories Free Software and Open Source.

Study this chart a bit, it is extremely good.  (The one quibble I might
have with it is the fact that "Shareware" is entirely encompassed in the
"Free Download" category.  I used to get shareware programs on floppy
distributions before the internet was widespread or bandwidths were
fast...  I'm pretty sure an occassional shareware program was
distributed *only* on certain limited media.  It really is a tiny
quibble).

The quote also, btw., is quite consistent with the Venn diagram.

--
 mertz@  _/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: \_\_\_\_    n o
gnosis  _/_/             Postmodern Enterprises            \_\_