A faster Python?, Python compiler, Dylan,...

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 07:31:59 EST 2002

In article <3CAAEF17.32333986 at kfunigraz.ac.at>, Siegfried Gonzi
<siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> writes
>Good to see that my assumption that Numeric is not slower than Matlab or
>IDL can be confirmed.

a while ago I translated a matlab generational accounting model into
Python+Numeric. The result was faster than the DLLs generated for matlab
by a proprietary compiler. It was certainly a bit faster than the
original matlab. Incidentally I think much of the speed improvement over
the compiler form was due to the non-copying slices in Numeric (ie more
work and much more memory was used in the DLL form). I understand some
propose to change that.
--
Robin Becker