A little advice please? (Convert my boss to Python)

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 16 18:32:12 EDT 2002

On 16 Apr 2002 17:05:09 -0500
Cameron Laird wrote:

> In article <mailman.1018989153.2077.python-list at python.org>,
> Cliff Wells  <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >Especially when the money saved by developing in Python versus C could
easily
> >cover the cost of a faster PC (or two).  It seems so bizarre that there are
> >people who would spend $10,000 (or more) in developer time to optimize an
> >in-house program rather than simply spend $1000 on a new PC.
>
> 'Haven't studied abnormal organizational psychology,
> have you?  This is only a blip in the collective
> irrationalities rampant around us.  Those $10,000 and
> $1000 might be decoupled from the decision-makers
> managing software development.  Moreover, someone in
> the system might be aware that the total cost of the
> PC should be amortized as around $10,000, once all
> management overhead is properly accounted.

- Cost of paperwork/meetings to get funds approved for $1000 PC: $500
- Consulting fees to decide if perhaps the PC should instead be an AS/400 and
  should we upgrade everyone to Windows XP: $5000
- Cost of additional paperwork/meetings to convince management otherwise: $500
- $1000 PC through purchase-agreement: $4000
- Flock of migrating developers: Priceless.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)