[OT] What is Open Source? (was Re: ANN: Twisted 0.16.0...)

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Fri Apr 26 02:10:47 EDT 2002

Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
> But if RMS would be happy with a world in which there was simply no
> copyright, he wouldn't bother with the GPL -- he could get the same
> effect just by putting all the stuff he writes in the public domain.
>
> The fact that he hasn't done that means he *does* want *some* kind
> of intellectual property laws.

That's illogical.  I'd like to live in a world where there's no guns.
That doesn't mean I advocate disarming the cops in a world where the
criminals still carry guns.

As a free software author, I'll consider stopping using copyright if
all the other software publishers out there are willing to do the
same.  Until then, I'll stay with the GPL.