Booleans, integer division, backwards compatibility; where is Python going?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 5 17:41:26 EST 2002

On 5 Apr 2002 16:48:57 GMT
James Logajan wrote:

> The answer to this isn't as interesting to me as _when_ will this
tinkering
> end? Something that isn't up for debate: because of the problems I have
> actually encountered with making code work with the many extant versions
of
> Python, I will no longer be doing any new projects in the language and am

> not recommending Python to anyone. The language tinkering is one of
several
> reasons I left Python and this newsgroup many months ago. (I have
> resubscribed recently to find out if there was a way to rework an old
> Tkinter app of mine that people have asked for some changes to, and will
be
> exiting here in a few days.)

Ah, you must have chose APL or Forth, since they're pretty much in the
feature-lock stage.  It can't be C since they've also added the damn
boolean.

Seriously though, if this is a big concern for you (and it might well be),
target the 1.5.2 language spec and the chances of your code not working
even in 2.2 are slim, so I'm not sure what would be compelling enough to
make you abandon Python.  I myself don't like every change in Python (or
even some things that have been in place since 1.5.2) but it's still an
excellent language.  I suspect you are masking some other complaint with
this one.

Technology that ceases to change is already dead.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)