ACCEPTED: PEP 285

James Logajan JamesL at Lugoj.com
Thu Apr 4 21:46:09 EST 2002

David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
> Guido did cover this explicitly in one of his responses to the bool
> threads [ ... ]

Thank you. I only just resubscribed to comp.lang.python after many months
of absence and was only reading a handful of articles of immediate interest
and was not following the PEP 285 thread until Guid posted the ACCEPTED
message. When I looked at it I saw a "class bool(int)" definition, so I
wasn't sure how instances of such a (pseudo?) class would be handled in a
dictionary. The statement "The values False and True will be singletons,
like None," further added to my confusion, since None is a valid dictionary
key, distinct from all other values, which when combined with the class
definition pretty much sealed the confusion. I assumed the "ACCEPTED: PEP
285" posting would have subsumed previous discussions, including any
concerning the class instances as dictionary keys. I couldn't find a clear
answer there, hence my question.

My apologies to those who have sent me angry e-mails for not realizing that
PEPs do not stand alone from the lengthy discussion threads on Usenet. The
fault is entirely mine.