Interesting topics

Andy Gimblett gimbo at ftech.net
Mon Apr 22 12:51:35 EDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 03:41:18PM +0000, Philip Swartzleonard wrote:
> Doru-Catalin Togea || Mon 22 Apr 2002 02:32:32a:
> > Personally, I don't really care, YET. I have to delete over 150
> > postings everyday anyways, so I've become really proficient at hitting
> > the 'D' key which marks mails for deletion in PINE. But if the ratio
> > of noise to signal increases too much on this list, it can become
> > boring to remain on it.
>
> Remember, the mailing list you're on is tied directly into a usenet
> newsgroup called comp.lang.python. Newsgroups and the related software
> all scale a lot better to this kind of volume, with the ability to just
> read what you want and ignore the rest, and i'm not sure in general, but
> i'm pretty sure it's a lot faster than it would be to get all this
> through the little pipe from our crappy email servers here =).

OTOH, if you're determined to use your favourite MUA to read the
list/group (as I am, 'cos mutt rocks), it helps to get to know that
MUA's features as well as you can.  I don't know if pine has an
equivalent, but in mutt I find Ctrl-D (delete entire thread) and
Meta-D (delete subthread) _indispensable_ around here.  :-)

-Andy

--
Andy Gimblett - Programmer - Frontier Internet Services Limited
Tel: 029 20 820 044 Fax: 029 20 820 035 http://www.frontier.net.uk/