Win32 Open Source or free .NET integration?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Apr 18 15:05:01 EDT 2002

In article <e00pbugs69lk497ga1u2j5oh8bllbcf7a8 at 4ax.com>,
mkelly2002 at adelphia.net says...
> On 15 Apr 2002 22:52:59 -0400, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
>
> >That actually seems reasonably unlikely at this point.  The "Visual
> >Python" project at ActiveState is to tie into Visual Studio for .NET
> >(e.g., the IDE) and not tying Python itself into the CLR (Common
> >Language Runtime) of .NET.
>
> That's a bummer.  Reading the stuff on their site
> "full integration" leads one to believe if you plug
> Visual Python in it's plugged in just as good as
> C# and that's obviously not the case.

No, that *is* the case, you're just not reading the whole site.
It's integrated into Visual Studio, *not* into the .NET
framework.  The confusion results from the fact that Microsoft
has decided to call the new version of VS by their latest
buzzword -- Visual Studio .NET -- when it is not directly tied to
the framework or the CLR at all.  They're two entirely separate
issues, although MS would probably be happy to have you never
realize that.  (Admittedly, the ActiveState site didn't seem to
explicitly point out the difference, last time I looked, but
their meaning *is* clear if you know the difference -- it's MS's
confusion, not ActiveState's.)

But Visual Python integrates Python into the Visual Studio IDE as
well as C# is integrated into VS.

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer