Numeric Python, COM and Eigenvalues

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 22 13:03:52 EDT 2002

Stefano wrote:

> I am working with Numpy and trying to create a COM server.
> I managed to call this server by Excel and get results like Inverse
> matrix or Cholesky decomposition but the server doesn't work as I ask
> for Eigenvalues/vectors (Excel does not respond anymore).
> Has anyone heard of a problem of this kind?

Well, with zero example code and details provided that's going to be a hard
one to get help on ;)

Do you know for a fact you're feeding it a diagonalizable matrix? Does numpy
compute the eigenvals/vects nicely if you test it with the same matrix on its
own (not via excel)? Start testing with a symmetric 2x2 real matrix for which
you can hand-compute the eigenvalues trivially, that might tell you where the
problem is.

Good luck,

f.