shipping a python app

Austin Luminais alun at chromosome57.com
Wed Apr 17 16:20:21 EDT 2002

roy at panix.com (Roy Smith) wrote in message news:<a9js5c$2m9$1 at panix2.panix.com>...
> I'd love to write this in python/Tkinter, but it'll be a bit of an
> uphill battle to convince management.  While I do a lot of python
> development for internal tools, my company doesn't currently ship any
> python-based products because of the impression that it's not widely
> supported.

I tried Tkinter on Windows a long time ago, and had a persistent
problem with the windows not being closeable.  I believe I also had
some crashes.  I checked Sourceforge recently, and it looked like the
non-closing windows was still an open bug!

I'm using wxPython now and haven't had any problems.  A lot of people
prefer it, but it does add at least two megs to your distribution
(about two megs compressed, about four megs uncompressed).

It does sound like Tkinter would be better in your situation, but I'd
test it a bit on Windows first.