Python Webpages

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Apr 30 04:33:04 EDT 2002

Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote in message news:<slrnacrltr.6mq.jon+usenet at snowy.squish.net>...
> In article <mailman.1020119995.30995.python-list at python.org>, François Pinard wrote:
> >
> > Strange.  For more than one year now, we never had the shadow of a
> > problem with HTML designers.  Everybody is competent in his field and
> > respectful for the work of others.  There is no "we are good they are
> > rotten" speak here.
>
> That's not what I meant. I'm not saying that designers are
> incompetent, I'm saying that having to work around code is not part of
> their job and the *tools* used will usually make it impossible.

Some tools do preserve not-strictly-HTML sections of files, but that
isn't to say that the designers will necessarily use such tools.
Moreover, they could just decide to produce something brand new rather
than work on existing files, or instead capture a "screenshot" (save
the Web page source in their browser) and work from that, where none
of the "structural" (template code) parts will be present.

I've had experiences where non-developers have just presented a new
concept and wanted it implemented from scratch. While I've seen talk
of the "webmaster bottleneck" on some page or other (I was working on
the Web Modules Overview last night, so I looked at a lot of template
system descriptions), I can imagine that quite often it is the
development team who is overloaded with writing code, maintaining the
application *and* writing other people's HTML for them.

> I'll just leave you with one further point. Several times on projects
> I have worked on, the customer decided upon a near-total redesign of
> an existing site. This involved us receiving completely new HTML files
> designed from scratch. With *any* system involving embedded code, this
> necessities many days of manual re-integration of the code and HTML.
> With something like jonpy, it's the work of a few hours at most.

If you can offload the HTML editing job on someone else (who may well
be less busy) and make the task of integrating their work back into
the application easier, then it's a distinct advantage. Moreover,
changes to the data model are likely to be easier to manage, requiring
less head scratching and staring at embedded code to work out what has
to change, but that's just my opinion.

Paul