problems with Perl; changing to Python

Uwe Mayer merkosh at hadiko.de
Thu Apr 18 13:22:04 EDT 2002

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.python and a copy was sent to the cited author.]

Hallo,

I'm a troubled Perl programmer who's got enough of Perl and needs
another programming language. Perhaps you can help me here.
I've got a view questions I myself cannot answer. Perhaps those of you
who got more experience can:

Perl is great for scripts. Perl is great for programs with less than
perhaps 200 lines. A program should be aware of its memory usage; for a
script I don't care.

I need a language that can be used to write programs with. GUI, and
commandline tools. When the program run in background they shouldn't
take up more memory than necessary.
F.e. I wrote a Perl script checking for changes on homepages, expiry
date, etc in regular intervals. This "program" is 600 lines long and
uses 7mb of ram... too much in my oppinion.
Can I do that in Python?

I'll need to write programs which have to be extensible. The program
may, during calculation require up to 500 mb ram. Fine with me. On the
other hand I'll neet to write something working in background and then
(depending on its task and size) 1-2 MB should be enough.
What about Python here?

Installing Perl modules was a torture. I am sitting behind a firewall
and in order to install the modules (compiling them did never work on my
Windows 2k mashine) I had to run my own DNS server and tunnel the
connection. Will that work better with Python? (f.e. Proxy support would
be sufficient!)

And for the GUI programming: I used Perl/Tk previously, so Tkinter would
be most fammiliar, I guess. What other GUI packages can Python offer me
that will work (perhaps even in compiled .exe format) on windows
mashines? What about features like "minimize to tray" or "always on
top" that I wasn't able to accomplish in Perl/Tk?

I need a language where I can rely on OOP if I need to. A language where
there's a difference between class- and instance- varriables.
How about multiple inheritance (perl, c++) or interfaces (jave) in
python?

Are there any applications written in Python?
Am I right here with Python or will I have to stick to a hybid C++/Java
solution?

Thanks in advance -
Yours
Uwe
--
C makes it easy to shoot into your foot.
C++ makes that harder, but when you do - it blows away your whole leg.