PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Apr 7 13:43:29 EDT 2002

In article <7xpu1bh481.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote:
>aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>>
>> I think it might be possible to make changes in the way Guido-introduced
>> PEPs get presented to reduce the amount of shouting from people like
>> Laura.  I hold no hopes that anything would get better results from
>> people like Arthur and Paul Rubin.
>
>I'm mildly opposed to the bool PEP but it's not that big a deal for
>me.  I'm more unhappy with the process that results in adding
>something like that to a minor version (2.3).  If it was saved for
>3.0, I think that would make more sense, for reasons I've explained.
>There are other features that I would LIKE to see added, like
>assignments in expressions; but those, too, shouldn't first appear
>in a minor release.

Assignments in expressions will never happen.

That said, seems to me that booleans are the stuff of a minor release,
unless you claim that minor releases should never contain language
changes.

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker