KDE+GNOME Bindings in SuSE 7.3

Tom Chance tomchance at gmx.net
Sun Apr 28 19:11:08 EDT 2002

I've just started out with Python, having been programming Perl for a
few years. I've been trying to get an app I downloaded a while ago
working without success until I found it couldn't import gnome.ui...

I duly downloaded every RPM from the SuSE server I could find to do with
python, and tried again... no luck. I can't quite figure out what's
wrong. If I try "import gtk" or "import gnome" or "import kde" or
"import qt" I just get errors telling me I don't have modules by those
names.

An rpm query for python gives the following results:

tom at tigger:~> rpm -qa | grep py
gnome-python-1.4.1-127
pygnome-libglade-1.4.2-2
python-tkinter-2.1.1-78
pygtk-libglade-0.6.9-2
pygnome-1.4.2-2
python-tk-2.1.1-78
python-gtk-1.4.1-83
python-2.1.1-45
pyxml-0.6.6-68
python-nothreads-2.1.1-78

So from that I would have thought it would work fine, but it doesn't.
I've also got the KDE bindings for KDE3.0 installed, and I can't seem to
get them either.

I'm running SuSE 7.3 btw, if anyone else uses the same bindings on the
same distro...

Any ideas? I'm at a dead end here...

Tom