[OT] What is Open Source? (was Re: ANN: Twisted 0.16.0...)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Apr 16 14:31:43 EDT 2002

    Huaiyu> The Apple Public Source License (APSL) version 1.2 is
    Huaiyu> listed as "Non-Free Software License" on
    Huaiyu> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html, mainly
    Huaiyu> because of "Possibility of revocation at any time".

Ah, I missed that one.  But note it's not the revocation problem,
that's listed as fixed as of 1.2.

It's the "must publish deployed software" clause that's objectionable.

    Huaiyu> To me, one counterexample is enough, and one with a clear
    Huaiyu> explanation is very satisfying.

It's actually not a clear counterexample for the definition.  What I
mean is that I think that clause violates section 6 of the OSD.  It
clearly discriminates against internal business uses vis-a-vis
personal and R&D uses.

But that does make the covered portions of MacOS/X open-source but not
free.  I wonder what the OSI was thinking when they made that
decision.  The FSF's objection to the "deployment" clause was
well-known from earlier versions of the APSL.