File sizes from MSWin...

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Apr 26 15:35:53 EDT 2002

[David Bolen]
> I expect you're seeing truncation due to the use of 32-bit values for
> the size.  Until Python 2.2, the Windows version didn't include large
> file support (not sure if you could manually build it that way or not,
> but it didn't come pre-built with it).

You could not; enabling large file support on Windows required structural
changes to the Python implementation.  The limitations before 2.2 were
inherited from that Microsoft's implementations of "regular old portable C
library functions", like stat(), were restricted to 32-bit results.  So
getting sensible results for large files on Windows required calling a
variety of Windows-specific functions under the covers.