Mail/news + References? <- RE: How to make regexes faster? (Python v. OmniMark)

Philip Swartzleonard starx at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 20 05:58:45 EDT 2002

Tim Peters || Sat 20 Apr 2002 12:00:05a:

> [David Eppstein]
>> The point is that your responses don't have the appropriate
>> the same topic.
>
> I know.  The news reader I use (when I use one) uses criteria in
> addition to "References:" for threading, so I never notice it myself.
>
>> It appears as if you are using a mail agent rather than a news agent,
>> since References: is a news header (and your other headers say you're
>> using MS Outlook).
>
> I do use the news<->mail gateway most of the time.
>
>> It affects other things than threading, too -- e.g. I use References:
>> to pick out responses to my own messages, and yours don't get caught.
>
> Then you'll be spared this <wink>.

Hm, even though my newsreader can keep things in their appropriate threads
most of the time, but anyone posting from the mailing list gets put out of
the indentation scheme. That is, instead of appering in a hierarchy under
the message you decided to reply to, you show up on the same level as the
first message in the thread, breaking the normal flow of the discussion. I
don't really think it's possible for a newsreader that works like this to
funciton properly without the references headers; i have a felling yours
just lists all the messages in a thread in chrono order instead of trying
to physically show the who-replies-to-who shceme?

--
Philip Sw "Starweaver" [rasx] :: www.rubydragon.com