PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Tue Apr 2 15:46:58 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1017755045.4308.python-list at python.org>,
lac at strakt.com says...

> I am opposed to the addition of the new proposed type on the grounds
> that it will make Python harder to teach both to people who have never
> programmed before and to people who _have_.

At first glance, I was marginally in favor of this PEP.  After
reading Alex Martelli's arguments, I was marginally opposed to
it.  I think that Laura's comments are *very* convincing, and I'm
now fairly solidly opposed to it.  Well said, Laura.

(FWIW, this was the first time I've seen the Something vs.
Nothing distinction pointed out explicitly.  I think that this
explanation of how Python determines truth is exceptionally
clear, and I think that the tutorial should be modified to
include this terminology.)

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer