Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Apr 30 15:18:42 EDT 2002

In article <slrnactndm.b2u.ak at ak.silmarill.org>,
Andrei Kulakov  <ak at silmarill.org> wrote:
			.
>> I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but I've found that operators
>> and sys admins use perl and that developers tend towards python. Also sys
>> admins rarely utilise indirection but developers do.
>>
>What do you mean by indirection?
			.
			.
			.
That one more application of which is alleged to solve all
algorithmic problems (look for "David Wheeler" in <URL:
http://www1.ics.uci.edu/~rohit/IEEE-L7-namespaces.html >).
Examples:  in Python we idomatically parametrize by putting
stuff in a dictionary, and computing with the dictionary.
The previous correspondent was saying something like this:
"sysads write
  log('/tmp/mylogfile');
where developers are likely to put
  logfile = '/tmp/mylogfile'
  log(logfile)
"

"Indirection" means something different in psychology,
journalism, and so on.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net