how to read hardware info on Win NT

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Apr 10 14:59:07 EDT 2002

In article <3cb45107.23060437 at news.easynews.net>, stojek at part-
gmbh.de says...

> I need the id of my ethernet card for a license documentation tool we
> want to write in Python. As many commercial softwares are using this
> id for generating the license keys etc.

ISTM that this method has potential problems.  What happens if
the software is installed on a machine with no ethernet card?
What happens if the software is installed, and then the ethernet
card is upgraded?  What happens if the entire machine is
replaced, and the licensee wishes to install the software on
their new machine?

I have always been leery about the idea of tying software
licenses to hardware IDs, because in an upgradable system, there
is no guarantee that those IDs will remain constant.

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer