Python and spacecraft onboard or ground control scripting

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Apr 11 17:03:37 EDT 2002

In article <7226483f.0204101216.2c8fcda4 at posting.google.com>,
M. J. Mix <marilyn.mix at omitron.com> wrote:
>Is anyone using Python as a spacecraft ground system scripting
>language, or onboard (embedded) language?
>
>Pros and cons when compared with TCL or JAVAScript.  Just
>some real life, honest opinions.
>
>The usual issues: reliability and maintenance effort in applications.
>Also, use as a scripting language by non-programmers. (I saw the post
>on indenting, so I'm concerned about that.)

Others have already answered most of this more than
adequately.  I'll reinforce a few points:

Bluntly, JavaScript's a bad idea.  Don't do it.
Details available, if necessary.

I believe that Python is in use "as a spacecraft
ground system scripting language".  I'm less certain
whether that's public information.

Indentation is a non-issue.  While your question is
a reasonable one, the best research available shows
that non-programmers do *better* with Python's
significant white space than with comparable {} sorts
of grouping.  It's an advantage, not a disadvantage.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net