porting python to embeded devices

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Sat Apr 13 18:21:52 EDT 2002

> From: Paul Rubin <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com>
>
> Steve Lamb <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> writes:
> > > The SL5500 is a high powered computer with a 32-bit CPU and 64 MB of
> > > ram.  It runs Python just fine.
> >
> >     *Eyes Sharp's list of retailers for the SL-5500 a little closer.*
> > Re-e-eaaaalllly.  Hmmmm..
>
> The SL-5500 hardware is similar to an Ipaq 36/37xx plus it has a cute
> little slide-out keyboard that's not all that useful.  I got the
> developer version for $199.00 which was a good deal at the price.  I
> wouldn't recommend it at $500 though.  I'll post a review to my website soon.

I stopped at Best Buy today and looked at one. The thing that
interests me is the ability to program it in an environment I'm used
to (Linux, Python, C/C++). I can't justify $500 right now (plus I'd
want to hook it into my LAN so there's another $120 and the extra
memory), but I do have a use for a Zaurus at one of the places I
consult. I'd like to develop the program (using Python) I want to run
on the Zaurus before I buy one (figure by the time I get done they'll
probably be cheaper :-).

I downloaded qtopia-free-1.5.0-1.i386.rpm and have been playing with
it a little on my Linux machine. I see there are python packages for
the Strong Arm processor, but I'm interested in running Python inside
the qtopia environment so I need python packages for it that are for the
i386. Can anyone tell me how to do create those or if they exist
already?

Or could I just write the program using Python and PyQt with a 240x320
window and then when I'm done, get a Zaurus, the python Strong Arm
packages, and copy my program to the Zaurus and it will work?

Thanks,
Dave