Mass Mailing help needed

Jonathan Vanasco jvanasco at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 20 03:40:12 EDT 2002

Hi.. this is my first post, so be kind...

I'm working on a freelance project right now, and there's a lot of db data
analysis that wasn't working too well in perl.  I heard about python, made a
couple of benchmarks, and found it working about 3-8x faster than perl.
That made me happy.

Until I got to the mass-mailing part of the gig.  Based on user registration
opt-ins, they can receive certain mailings.  This all works fine when it was
done in perl.  I make a flat text file for each mailinglist with an address
per line.  Then i used Mail::Bulkmail to handle sending it

But I migrated the analysis files over to python -- and users will
essentially be mailed results of the analysis files.  Rather than call a
python script to generate the messages and a perl script to mail them, i'd
rather do it all at once.  In python.

Which brings me to my problem: for the life of me, i can't figure out how to
mass email in python.  (note: i'm a designer, not really a programmer).  I
can't find any python equivalent to perl's Mail::Bulkmail (which, among
other things does some pimp stuff with the envelopes).  I waded through all
of the files in Mailman,  and it seemed to rely on using Sendmail for every
message.  That seems fine if users stay under 5,000 -- but I dont know what
that will do to postfix should i need to mail 50,000 people (will that fill
up the disk w/tempfiles, will it skew  the mailqueue too much?)  I thought
about sending groups of 100 to sendmail as a ,  delimted list in the bcc
field.  Then i read in a dozen places 'never use bcc'.  Which brings me
right back to square one -- clueless.

So I'm hoping that someone here can help me out, or point me in a direction
so I can get this all done in python, and  not  have to run 2 scripts.