ANN: Python Computer Graphics Kit v1.0beta1

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Sat Apr 6 03:28:28 EST 2002

I've posted this earlier but it didn't seem to get through, so I post
again. My apologies if you got this twice.

I have just released the first beta version of the Python Computer
Graphics Kit, a collection of Python modules that contain the basic
types and functions required for creating 3D computer graphics images.

http://cgkit.sourceforge.net

The kit includes several new types such as vectors, matrices and
quaternions. It contains a binding for Pixar's RenderMan interface
which is a renderer independent API to communicate 3D data to
renderers which will finally produce a 2D image. There are already
several RenderMan compliant renderers freely available (they are
not part of the kit). The kit also includes some of the functionality
from the RenderMan Shading Language which enables you to create
procedural models or textures from within Python.

Even though the kit focuses on RenderMan, the new types or the
Shading Language functionality can also be used for other rendering
mechanism such as OpenGL or other renderers such as POV-Ray.

The kit should run on any platform where Python (and a C/C++ compiler)
is available. Windows users can download a binary version for Python
2.1or Python2.2.

For more information, visit:

http://cgkit.sourceforge.net

- Matthias -