pre-PEP for optional 'pass'

Gareth McCaughan Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
Wed Apr 17 20:09:58 EDT 2002

Aahz wrote:

> In article <3CBBAB98.91FA1B17 at alcyone.com>,
> Erik Max Francis  <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
> >jepler at unpythonic.net wrote:
> >>
> >>     [2, 3, 5, 7, 9, ...]
> >> would generate successive primes.
> >
> >Pretty lousy code, since 9 is not prime.  :-)
>
> That just proves he's an engineer (or is it a physicist? I can never
> remember that joke properly).

Engineer.

A mathematician, a physicist and an engineer set out to
prove that all odd numbers are prime.

Mathematician: 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime ...
well, it's obviously a simple proof by induction. Trivial!

Physicist: 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, hmm,
9 isn't prime: experimental error. 11, 13, ... yeah,
must be right.

Engineer: 3 is prime, 5 is prime, 7 is prime, 9 is prime,
11 is prime, 13 is prime, 15 is prime, ... [fades into distance]

(These days there ought to be a computer scientist in the
mix too. Suggestions?)

Gareth McCaughan  Gareth.McCaughan at pobox.com
.sig under construc