(no subject)

Russo, Tom tom at studentuniverse.com
Mon Apr 29 18:37:19 EDT 2002

> This PEP smacks of political requirements not practical ones. The
> builtin name space is only crowded if we want to use the names for
> something else.

I think that this hits the nail right on the head.  One of the reasons I
like python is that it is friendly to functional programmers like myself.
The goal of python _should not_ be to weed out "non-standard" features,
which seems to be the goal of this PEP.  What python _should_ try to do (in
my opinion at least) is take the best of all worlds, to the extent possible.
The functions at issue here (with the possible exception of input) represent
the best of functional programming integrated into python.  The fact that
certain people never learned to program in the function idiom is no basis
for removing them.

_t