AS/400

Gustavo Cordova gcordova at hebmex.com
Thu Apr 25 16:14:08 EDT 2002

> On 25 Apr 2002 10:34:33 -0700
> Terje Johan Abrahamsen wrote:
>
> > I am trying to write some Python code that moves info from
> > Excel into AS/400 throuhgt a display program called Rumba.
> > (www.walldata.com) Basically what I want it to do (short version)
> > is that I go to a cell in Excel, copy that cell, changes to the
> > Rumba window, goes to coordinate x,x pastes the number there.
> > Then goes back to Excel, gets a new number, goes to Rumba,
> > changes screens by typing F12, enters info from Excel again
> > in coordinate x,x. It is more to it than this, but if I can
> > figure out this, I can figure out the rest.
>
> Not familiar with AS/400, but in general, this sort of thing
> is very fragile. Unexpected user-interaction can cause the
> focus to get set to the wrong window, coordinate, put one of
> the programs in an unexpected state, etc, with possibly
> unhappy results.  Is it not possible to extract the data from
> Excel via win32com, write it to a portable file and then import
> it on the AS/400 (perhaps transfering the file via ftp)?

Sounds about right what Cliff says.

An alternative to a file would be a database, using ODBC or
something like that, and just using Python to coordinate the
process of reading off the Excel sheet into the AS/400 table.

Sounds like the most fluid option to me, either a file or a
database. Screen-scraping seems fragile.

Good luck !

-gustavo