binding a reference to a variable

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Apr 10 20:36:59 EDT 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:

> Given all this, if you find out and implement some Ruby Goldberg scheme
> that works (sort of) this way, you'll have code that is totally baffling to
> Pythonista users thereof, because it runs so deeply counter to our
> expectations, our usual social contracts.

Also, said scheme will be highly dependent on implementation
details of the current version of Python, and may well
break in future versions, or alternative implementations
such as Jython. Another good reason to avoid such tricks
if possible.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg