using automake/autoconf to build extension module?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 22 17:05:10 EDT 2002

Can someone explain what automake incantations are necessary to build a
Python extension module?  I'd prefer not to use distutils if possible, since
the rest of the project is using automake/autoconf/libtool for build
configuration.

I tried the following:

    lib_LTLIBRARIES = alfmodule.la
    alfmodule_la_LDFLAGS = -module -avoid-version -export-symbols-regex initalf
    alfmodule_la_SOURCES = alf.h alfmodule.c
    alfmodule_CFLAGS = -I$(prefix)/include/python$(PYTHON_VERSION)

but it blows up during the compile because it has no -I flag referencing the
include directory.  (Obviously the last line above is incorrect in some
respect.  It never gets into the cc command.)

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)