PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Apr 2 20:10:39 EST 2002

Alex Martelli wrote:
> I _have_ seen old-time Fortranites rant quite convincingly against that
> useless, newfangled LOGICAL stuff.

And that is exactly what many of the responses in this thread
(including Laura's over-long FUD piece) sound like.

I'm reading (at least skimming) everything, but the more I read the
reactions, the more I believe that this is just the response I have to
expect for *every* change to the language I propose, and the more I'm
tempted to follow my gut instincts.  Long ago (right after lambda :-)
I learned to say "no" to proposals that didn't feel right to me, even
if I couldn't express very clearly why.  I think it's time I learn to
say "yes" even if the community doesn't see the light yet.