Science And Math Was: Python's Lisp heritage

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Mon Apr 22 13:44:18 EDT 2002

In article <3CC43FEC.EE94FFEB at kfunigraz.ac.at>,
Siegfried Gonzi  <siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote:

>> Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote previously:
>> |I disagree strongly...  All of mathematics is a formal construct of the
>> |human mind created with the intent of removing ambiguity and enhancing
>> |our ability to describe what we *think* and what we *observe*.
>>
>> To my mind, Daneliuk present here the strongest argument that
>> mathematics (and therefore CS) *IS* indeed a science.
>
>How do you observe infinity in mathematics?: n+1,n+2,...
>
>> Alex may disagree with me here, but I think my opinion here is quite
>> close to the middle Wittgenstein, or the _Philosohy of Mathematics_ and
>> the _Blue and Brown Books_.  It is also very close to some of Godel's
>> remarks, in his philosophical moods.
>
>Wittgenstein dissmised the pure behavior of mathematicians: proof n, do
>not rest and proof n+1, do not rest and proof n+2,...
>Wittgenstein and Goedel met in the so called "Wiener Kreis" (an exquiste
>circle --on a regular basis-- for intellectuals in Vienna/Austria).
>
>Goedel had direct influence (via v. Neumann) into: I dare to say
>computer science, instead I write "computer engineering".
>

>S. Gonzi

I'll say what I think is the same, in somewhat different
language:  do not draw conclusions from mathematicians'
philosophy.  There's reasonably strong evidence that
mathematicians are, in the aggregate, unreliable witnesses
as to the epistemology of their expertise.  They do good
mathematics; they recognize good mathematics; they hold
personal beliefs about what good mathematics is; but they
are FAR more trustworthy about the former (their capacity
to generate quality output) than the latter (philosophically
valuable explanations).
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net