[OT] What is Open Source?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Apr 18 13:59:09 EDT 2002

In article <a9lp2o$nfv$1 at watserv3.uwaterloo.ca>,
jcmason at student.math.uwaterloo.ca says...
> In article <mailman.1019085816.3890.python-list at python.org>,
> holger krekel  <pyth at devel.trillke.net> wrote:
> >> As I understand it, the GPL does not give you right to use the software
> >> as you see fit.  You can only use it by linking with other GPL'd
> >> software.
> >
> >cant be true: gpled software under windows wouldnt be possible...
>
> And yet it happened.

Indeed, it happened because the claimed restriction is *not*
true.  There are no limits to the usage of GPL software.  (How
many businesses are using Linux?)  What the GPL limits, is
derivative works.  You can *use* the software, but when you
*modify* it, then you come under the restrictions that the GPL
lays out.  (Particularly, when you modify it and then distribute
your modified version.)

--

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer